Review of MOAB Fine Art Paper
Today we're delighted to present an in-depth review of Moab's distinguished Fine Art Paper collection – a portfolio that encompasses a spectrum of textures, tones, and surfaces to cater to every artistic vision. Join us on this journey through Moab's premium papers: Entrada, Juniper, Somerset, Lasal, Anasazi, Moenkopi, and Slickrock.
1. Entrada - The Epitome of Elegance (5/5): Moab's Entrada Fine Art Paper
exudes elegance with its smooth surface and luxurious weight. Ideal for both photographic prints and fine art reproductions, Entrada stands out for its exceptional color reproduction and archival qualities, making it a top choice for artists seeking timeless sophistication.
The Entrada Rag is what put the Moab brand on the map. This award-winning 100% cotton fine art paper has superb ink handling and sharpness. Entrada is an archival acid- and lignin-free paper with an expanded color gamut, natural contrast and high ink load. It is compatible with both dye and pigment inks ensuring that when used with archival inks, your prints will last for generations. The original Entrada has a smooth surface and is available in both a Bright and an OBA-free Natural version allowing you to match the color to your project's needs.
The NEW Entrada Rag Natural Coldpress 300 has a rich feel combined with a comforting heft immediately conveys that you’re holding a paper worthy of your best work. All the while, Entrada Rag Natural Coldpress 300 also offers the kind of resolution that delivers tack sharp results, even around the edges. And that’s exactly what makes this textured matte paper so exceptional.
Cotton paper needs to be treated with care. We recommend using Desert Varnish Spray to protect your prints from the elements or mishaps and Rising Museum Board for framing and display.
2. Juniper - A Canvas of Creativity (4/5): Juniper, with its subtle texture, strikes a balance between classic and contemporary. This fine art paper is versatile, offering a tactile feel that complements a variety of artistic styles. Its archival quality ensures that your prints maintain their integrity over time.
Juniper Baryta Rag is a 100% cotton, true baryta (barium sulfate) fiber paper that offers the density of a traditional darkroom FB-type paper to hold detail in the deep blacks of the shadow regions, while producing natural white highlights that’s enhanced with a slight fiber glossy surface texture.
This double weight coated inkjet fine art paper embraces the unique charm of silver halide by using state-of-the-art coating technology to bring a new method to an old tradition.
3. Somerset - Timeless Textured Appeal (4/5): Moab's Somerset Fine Art Paper introduces a timeless textured appeal to your prints. Its distinctive surface adds character to photographs and art reproductions, providing artists with a canvas that enhances both visual and tactile experiences.
Mouldmade of 100% cotton, this natural white paper yields exceptional depth of color with a velvety fine art texture. The surface of the paper becomes an inherent part of the finished print, without overwhelming the image, but adding a fine art element to the composition.
Somerset Museum Rag is the newest paper by the acclaimed St Cuthberts Mill in England, who over a decade ago helped create an entire industry when it launched Somerset Enhanced Velvet - one of the first papers used for fine art digital imaging.
Somerset Museum Rag is a pioneer in its own right while remaining true to its history. It combines an archival 100% cotton heavyweight paper with a smooth surface, sensuous to the touch while durable to everyday handling, with the latest in coating technologies to produce deep, rich blacks with an unparalleled color gamut to make a vibrant image pop to life.
4. Lasal - Vibrant and Versatile (4/5): Lasal is celebrated for its vibrancy and versatility. With a bright white base, this paper ensures that colors pop with vivid intensity. Its quick-drying properties make it an excellent choice for photographers and artists who value efficiency without compromising on quality.
Lasal Exhibition Luster weighs in at a healthy 300gsm. Ideal for gallery and exhibition prints, the new fourth-generation coating ensures the highest possible d-max and color holdout. The Matte paper is double sided making it perfect for portfolios.
5. Anasazi - Embracing Tradition (5/5): Anasazi Fine Art Paper pays homage to tradition with its cotton and alpha cellulose composition. This archival paper is perfect for artists who seek a surface that not only captures the essence of their work but also stands the test of time.
This truly archival poly/cotton blend canvas has been specially crafted to be flexible to stretching and framing while maintaining durability without cracking or tearing. Anasazi Canvas - Premium Matte, is water-resistant and maintains a neutral pH that is compatible with both dye- and pigment-based inks. It is made in the USA.
6. Moenkopi - Heritage in Every Sheet (5/5): Moenkopi represents a dedication to Native American heritage, and this commitment is reflected in the paper's exceptional quality. Its versatile surface accommodates a range of printing techniques, making it a go-to choice for artists and photographers alike.
Moenkopi [moe-in-koe-pee] papers represent a unique partnership with the Awagami Factory in Tokushima, Japan. Moenkopi is a Native-American name which was used to identify a mudstone layer of rock common in the Moab area. The world-famous Fisher Towers seen in many a John Wayne film, were formed in this strata. These unique towers seem to flow from the earth. It is fitting then that Moenkopi would be used to define this family of environmentally-friendly Japanese papers made primarily from Kozo (mulberry) fibers.
Availabe in two surfaces, Kozo and Unryu are all made from natural mulberry and hemp fibers using traditional Japanese Washi techniques and then coated to accept inkjet inks. No other paper has received as many awards and acclaim. This is a specialty product and designed for discerning artists with advanced technical printing skills.
7. Slickrock - Adventure in Texture (4/5): Slickrock introduces adventure into the realm of fine art printing. With a unique, ultra-smooth surface, this paper is designed for bold, high-contrast prints. Its texture adds a touch of intrigue, making it an excellent choice for those seeking a departure from traditional fine art papers.
Designed for photographers seeking to enhance their images with a metallic look, Slickrock Metallic Pearl 260 transforms an image into lifelike, almost 3D quality.
Black & White images shine on the Slickrock Metallic Pearl producing deep dark blacks and ultra-bright highlights. The paper’s high gloss and unique sheen make this ideal for everyday prints with a twist.
In summary, Moab's Fine Art Paper collection transcends conventional printing materials, offering a palette of textures and finishes that cater to every artistic inclination. From the timeless elegance of Entrada to the adventure-ready Slickrock, each paper is a testament to Moab's commitment to excellence in the world of fine art and photographic printing.
Explore the full range of Moab Fine Art Papers today and unlock new dimensions for your artistic expressions. For inquiries or to place an order, visit our Moab Web page Here or contact our team at +1-305-969-8863.